Shasta & Nomad

Shasta & Nomad

Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Exterior skin and interior kitchen repairs

Howdy vintage travel trailer fans. It has been a while since the last time I was in touch. We have been busy over here. Well, mostly I just sit, but 99 is busy. My sister Loo Loo got a paint job. She looks beautiful now and I hope I come out just as good. Here are the before and afters of my sister:

Big difference some cheery yellow paint makes!


Loo Loo is still waiting to go to her new home. Hope she finds it soon. It's camping season!

Anyway, enough about her. Let's talk about me, shall we? We have had some very nice weather days so 99 has been working a lot on my exterior. I had faded white paint on me that was probably factory original. Originally, 99 planned to strip the paint on all of my lower sections down to shiny silver and then paint the upper part white at the seams. She also decided to make my strip red with white along the top and bottom to make it pop! 99 works in weird ways. She is with me all day long and in order to keep up the motivation she needs to see some kind of progress. So, she decided to work on completing me one side at a time. She set to work on the front, then the streetside, my rear and finally the curbside. She was able to paint the upper portion of the streetside white, but the paint did not set well and now she has to strip it all off again! This is not fun! Her neighbor came over for a short visit and 99 said, "I am so sick of stripping, scrubbing and polishing"!! To which he replied, "I am so sick of watching you out here stripping, scrubbing and polishing"!! Me? I am so enjoying the rub down! I have never felt better!

Here are some pics...
The front has been all stripped down and my stripe is done also. I will need more polishing and touch ups as nothing is perfect right now but it's progress!  All the old exterior screws will be replaced with stainless and new teardrop lenses will be added as well. 99 is now thinking about keeping me all silver and not painting the upper portion white. She changes her mind a lot, but I guess that is her right. Women!

 Lights were unscrewed, but not yet removed so the wires don't get lost. I have some corrosion but 99 says she has seen worse. The paint is very hard to remove. I guess it is because it has been baked on there in the sun for close to 50 years. The paint stripper is barely touching it. 99 looks at the bright side though. She's gonna have some nice looking muscles in her arms!









 This is the side with the paint that did not set properly. What a nightmare!


I have a really cool feature and it is behind the little door next to the entry door. It's an old German made "on demand" hot water system! It has to be cleaned up and tested but that is on the list for another day.

Some work was also done to my kitchen. The doors were all removed on the inside and the hinges and handles painted. The fan cover was cleaned up and painted and the countertop which had sticky paper and paint on it was ripped out and a new one put in. The wood was cleaned, sanded up and coated with poly.  I am starting to look more and more like a little home away from home every day!














It's just a tad chilly here today and 99 and I are having a take it easier kind of day. We are just puttering around. Yesterday, Ironman came over and my sister was moved over and up and I was moved back close to the garage. This makes it a lot easier to work on me and hopefully my sister will find her new people soon. She is getting really tired of waiting!

Well, that's it for now friends. I will try to be more diligent in blogging. I am just so tired at the end of the night from watching 99 work that I don't have any energy left! Speaking of work....better get back at it! Talk to you soon!

1 comment:

  1. You do very nice work. I am in the process of restoring a few myself. How do you cope with the kitchen grease...what do you use? I don't want to destroy the wood and most of the time, it doesn't need to be stripped or anything, just degreased. I am also trying to get in contact with you about your camper for sale,

    ReplyDelete